Born and bred in Michigan, and currently based in Berlin, Eric Cloutier is one of a new generation of American DJs bridging the gap between dance music’s past and its future. His sets have a sprawling depth and sophistication that fuses the brooding intensity of tripping techno with the mechanic funk of contemporary house.
Cloutier started spinning records in 1996, quickly establishing himself in Detroit’s competitive local scene, holding down residencies at The Necto and prominent afterhours spot The Works. This led to a job booking Oslo, working alongside Richie Hawtin, Luciano and Michael Mayer, as well as residents of such calibre as Three Chairs and Stacey Pullen.
In 2006, Cloutier established himself in NYC and quickly earned a residency at the monthly techno night of legend ‘The Bunker’ and a midweek soiree Den of Thieves. He’s also founded his own night, Down, showcasing his range over the long set, threading together deeper shades of house and dub infused techno.
2009 saw Cloutier recording two mixes for the mnml ssgs podcast series, beginning to work in the studio for the first time on his own material, making his European DJing debut and getting tapped to play at Japan’s renowned Labyrinth Festival. Only a select few are asked to spin at Labyrinth. Those who have been there know why, a spiritual experience that transcends the festival moniker, there is not another more demanding crowd in the world, nor a more rewarding place to play.
We welcome Eric back to Sydney for his second tour.
We’re going to give him a super nice mixer, two decks, 2 CDJs, a bottle of whiskey and as long as he damn well wants to play.
We can’t wait. Can you?
Felix Warmuth (LIVE)
Self confessed synthesizer, drum machine and beard aficionado Felix Warmuth has been twisting minds and nodding heads with his machine driven sounds since the late 90’s. A founding father of the Analog Cabin and a child of the warehouse era, he is also known to perform under the guises of Assembler, Mission Creep or his Sex Worker alias. Whatever metaphorical mask he’s wearing, whether behind the decks or orchestrating the machines there will be a busy dance floor.
Live techno – bring your ears and bring your feet.
What else can we say about this guy? We might have to start calling him our resident DJ even though we don’t have one. Having supported the likes of Silent Servant and Peter van Hoesen, no one is better placed to lay down the heat bricks for your night in the oven. You’re going to come out the other side well done. House, techno of the deepest trippiest order will be on show, close your eyes, dance, dance away
Venue details will be released the week of the party. It will be BYO.
Tickets on sale ASAP.
Capacity is limited to 150 people, so buy yours early. There is no guest list for this night so please get in early to avoid disappointment
ABOUT STRANGE SIGNALS
Strange Signals is puts on electronic music parties in Sydney, Australia. Expect techno to house to weird shit and everything in between.
- EVENT: ‘Paris / Berlin / Detroit: 20 Years of Underground Techno’ Film Screening + Q & A as Part of Sydney Fringe Festival | Chicago, History, Detroit, Techno, House, Deep House Sydney, (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- EVENT: Kenny Larkin (Cadenza, Art Of Dance Records, Detroit) Heads to Goldfish Sydney – DEEP HOUSE, DETROIT TECHNO SYDNEY (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- WAREHOUSE PARTY: We’rehaus #04 Feat. Owen Howells | deep house, disco, techno, nudisco (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- What’s Up Weekend? 25 – 31 July 2013 (lucyvstheglobe.com)
- Nicole Moudaber Debut at Output, Brooklyn on September 14 + Tour Dates (coffeeorcocktail.com)
- What’s Up Weekend? 12 – 18 September 2013 (lucyvstheglobe.com)
- EVENT: Lioness Presents Recloose & Inkswel at Goodgod Small Club | DEEP HOUSE, TECHNO, DISCO (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Book a last minute ticket with iDBUS and go to the Techno Parade (pinknews.co.uk)
- Who’s your favourite house / techno producer (not DJ)? (gearslutz.com)
- Gig Review: Skazi at Blue Frog, Delhi (thebanginbeats.com)