Demiurge presents a series of documentary screenings complemented with DJ sets intended to examine the history and culture of Techno music, with particular focus on scenes in Paris, Berlin, and Detroit.
Friday 6 September, 9pm-midnight
“Paris/Berlin: 20 Years of Underground Techno”
Sydney Fringe 2013 opening night // Q&A with director // DJ set by Methodix
This 52″ documentary tells the story of an underground movement, from its beginning until now. Born in Detroit in the late 80s, techno met its audience a few years later in Europe, as the UK, Germany, France and many other countries started to host the foundations of a techno scene. The documentary features those in the scene who kept it true to its original spirit. About twenty people trace the evolution of techno over the years. They all have different profiles – dj, producer, label manager, promoter, record shop owner… but all share a common passion: techno.
“This is what techno was about, this is what it should be about, and hopefully this is gonna stay this way for a while now.” – Adam X
Friday 27 September, 9pm-midnight
“High Tech Soul: The Creation of Techno Music”
Sydney premiere // DJ sets by Boom Boom residents + Love’s Disciple
High Tech Soul is the first documentary to tackle the deep roots of techno music alongside the cultural history of Detroit, its birthplace. High Tech Soul focuses on the creators of the genre — Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson — and looks at the relationships and personal struggles behind the music. Artists like Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, Carl Craig, Eddie Fowlkes and a host of others explain why techno, with its abrasive tones and resonating basslines, could not have come from anywhere but Detroit.
“Defines the myths and the magic of Detroit techno from its beginnings right up to how it has evolved to become High Tech Soul.” – Derrick May
Paris/Berlin: 20 Years of Underground Techno (2012)
Directed by Amélie Ravalec
With Adam X (Sonic Groove), Regis (Downwards), Ancient Methods (AM/ Downwards), Kareem (Zhark Berlin), Function (Sandwell District), Lucy (Stroboscopic Artefacts), Laurent Garnier (Fcom), Nick Höppner (Ostgut ton), Terence Fixmer (Planète Rouge), Christophe (Toolbox Records), Tama Sumo (Ostgut ton), Dasha Rush (Full Panda), Henning Baer (Grounded Theory), Milton Bradley (Do not resist the beat), Lupo (Dubplates&Mastering), Tobias Rapp (Berlin, techno und der Easy Jet set), Electric Rescue (Skryptom), Fabrice Gadeau (Rex Club), Laurent Baylet / Patrick Bamberger (Dimuschi), Mathieu Guilien (Paris III-Sorbonne), Remote (Kill the Dj), Heartbeat (Dement3d)
High Tech Soul: The Creation of Techno Music (2006)
Directed by Gary Bredow
With Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, Eddie (Flashin) Fowlkes, Richie Hawtin, Jeff Mills, John Acquaviva, Carl Cox, Carl Craig, Blake Baxter, Stacey Pullen, Thomas Barnett, Matthew Dear, Anthony “Shake” Shakir, Keith Tucker, Delano Smith, Mike Archer, Derrick Thompson, Mike Clark, Alan Oldham, Laura Gavoor, Himawari, Scan 7, Kenny Larkin, Stacey “Hotwax” Hale, Claus Bachor, Electrifying Mojo, Niko Marks, Barbara Deyo, Dan Sordyl, Sam Valenti, Ron Murphy, George Baker, and Kwame Kilpatrick.
- EVENT: Kenny Larkin (Cadenza, Art Of Dance Records, Detroit) Heads to Goldfish Sydney – DEEP HOUSE, DETROIT TECHNO SYDNEY (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- RARE VIDEO: Detroit The Blueprint Of Techno Documentary (1990) (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Chicago House & Broken Beat Mixtape: Recloose Warm Up Mix by Edseven (Lioness Presents)| deep house sydney souful house sydney chicago house sydney (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Chicago House & Broken Beat Mixtape: Recloose Warm Up Mix by Edseven (Lioness Presents)| deep house sydney souful house sydney chicago house sydney (sydneyunderground.org)
- Sydney house producer Murat Kilic drops a dope release on Berlin label Stil Vor Talent | deep house spice cellar (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Spirit of House DISCO BOOGIE Block Party special feat. MARCEL VOGEL (Lumberjacks In Hell, Amsterdam) + Stephen Allkins (Love Tattoo) | deep house sydney soulful disco funk chicago afro-beat (sydneyunderground.org)
- Paradise Lost Warehouse Party on this Weekend! | deep house disco boogie chicago detroit soulful acid sydney (sydneyunderground.org)
- Homage to Detroit music – Let’s hope the city comes back (notthesingularity.com)
- EVENT: Lioness Presents Recloose & Inkswel at Goodgod Small Club | DEEP HOUSE, TECHNO, DISCO (spiritofhouse.com.au)